Friday, January 28, 2011

Worst Interview Questions I Flunked Answering!

'Spent more than 8 hours a day on this work space'

 Actually, job interviews are not really hard questions. They are just questions with which either relates with what you wrote on your resume or basically questions that just exemplify your character as a worker and as a person.
Common questions during interviews (which I easily and impressively persuade interviewer, brag brag brag lol) are:

*      ‘Tell me something about yourself.’ Or ‘Describe yourself’
*      ‘What is/are your strength/s’, followed by ‘Your weakness’
*      ‘If we’ll hire you, what would you do with the company’ or other interviewers may ask ‘What is your edge against other applicants’ or tactfully statement may vary like ‘What would you offer the company’
*      ‘Why would you like to work with our company’ or ‘How did you know about the company and the vacancy’
*      If it’s not your first job, most likely interviewer will be curious, asking you ‘Why did you left your former company’
*      ‘Have you been in the situation where you have hard time dealing with your boss or co-worker or may be a friend or a family member ’, testing if you are a anti-social person, harhar. Be careful in answering his. Or best, if you have had past difficult times with difficult people; just pretend that you hadn’t ever experienced it in your entire existence
*      And more!...
I easily responded to those questions without a wink! Those were easy for me not until the following questions were asked from me few weeks ago. It was a disgrace!
First: An interview with my background investigator. Aside the fact that the  our company’s private investigator had hard time setting schedule for my interview, I was damn bored with his background check questions. (like who’s my father, mom, my siblings and their spouses’ names- I don’t even know their real first names!, etc.). Then suddenly a familiar but unanswerable question popped out on my investigator’s mouth: ‘Who is your best friend at work?
‘Oh, God! (I had few moments of silence) This is an easy question but I am not able to answer.’
Again the investigator asked me, he must be thinking I wasn’t able to hear him.
So, I hurriedly answered him any name then. I thought of Silver’s name. The most silent and proper gal in the MIS Tech office. She may probably not mind if I’d use her name as my best friend. After the interview, I can’t still get over with that question. A lot of questions lingered on my mind as I ride on a bus going home. Why didn’t attached myself to my new co-workers? Why did I suddenly stop having one true best friend? Am I traumatized with my past close friend? oes Silver Mae consider me as a good friend?... And the questions goes on….
Another tough question I had ever heard was:

During an interview for my regularization, a question which I never thought would be asked by our company president

'26 Years from now, and your son is getting married in a few minutes; As the mother of the groom, what would the legacy in form of advice would you want to share to your son?'

Darn it! I lost it! I blew the one question which I may possibly impress our company president! I totally flunk to grab the once in a life time chance to have a face to face talk to a person like him, but I blew it off! It was a damn hard beauty contest-like question. However I confidently answered from my heart,
            ‘I would hug my son and tell him that I love him and he I am not really asking him to be rich and to be materialistically successful, just enough to be a good Chritian and live a simple life doing everything in God’s glory; the way we (his dad nad I) raised him… ’
But, sadly, Mr. President was not satisfied with my answer. He rephrased the questions and stated example of advices himself. He wanted me to assume that all my future dreams were already accomplished and I have to boast it to my son as an example. I get his point but I was afraid that I would be looking like a too mended-air headed, boisterous and too pre-assuming mom in that case. I told him respectfully,  ‘I can’t,  I would totally sound so-pre-assuming if I would do that. Unlike you, you are already an accomplished person, so it is easy to be proud of your won true accomplishment…’ 

Then he told me to just have confidence. He then followed up more questions regarding on what I wrote at my resume. The interview was over but not me thinking (‘till now!) about the beauty-contest-like question. 

More depressing, a co-worker was also asked same question and he is proud that he answered it satisfyingly. Hays, asar. Feeling ko ang bobo ko tuloy! I had faced and talked tomost of our country’s  prominent people from government and other private companies like Ping de Jesus, former Sen. Salonga, Sen. Loren Leagarda, and even businessman tycoon Henry Sy… but I had never tongue-tied like that before!

If you are to be asked with that question? How would you answer it?  = (

No comments:

Post a Comment